Saturday, February 5, 2011

For Moms of Boys

So, it is not my intent to make this blog a serious one, but I had a fantastic mom moment this week that I just had to share with my friends here. I have an 18 year-old son that is in his first year of college approximately 7 hours away in a neighboring state. He is doing very well, and I have to say that I have done better than I really expected since this IS my first born we're talking about.

Age 3 on Easter Sunday and Age 18 on Senior Prom Day! All together now...awww!
 He called me while I was at work on Friday, and I am SUPER slammed at work and really only spoke to him for about ten minutes. He asked if I had seen his post on facebook, and I asked which one. He knew that I hadn't seen it yet at that point, so he told me that he didn't want to spoil it. He had tagged me so that it would send a notification. I told him I would check it out as soon as I could. Here is said post:
"Eldest Son's Name Here" heard Shinedown's version of "Simple Man" on the way to class today and it brought a tear to my eye. Reminded me of the first time I heard it on the radio in the car with my mom and she turned to me and said "This is what I want for you." I love you "LoriAnnTwiFan's Name Here" and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. I'm glad I have the chance to make you damn proud of me.
Cue the waterworks...yeah, I cried. I'm a sap like that. If you have never heard the song (previously recorded by Lynyrd Skynyrd), here is the acoustic version done by Shinedown at someone's house - not mine, I don't have a TV that nice!

 

I really do feel like the lyrics to this song are incredibly profound and, well, simple! Here they are:

"Simple Man"
Songwriters: Ron Van Zant, Gary Rossington

Well mama told me, when I was young
Said sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say
And if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day

Ahhh
Yeah it will

Or take your time don't live to fast
Troubles will come and they will pass
You'll find a woman and you'll find love
And don't forget that there's is a someone up above

[Chorus]
Be a simple kind of man
Be a something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
(if you can)

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need now is in your soul
And you can do this(oh baby)if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied

[Chorus]
And be a simple kind of man
Be a something that you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
(if you can)

Oh don't you worry
You'll find yourself
Follow your heart
And nothing else
And you can do this(oh baby)if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied

[Chorus]
And be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
So baby be a simple be a simple man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can

I am glad to have a chance to share something positive with you guys since I have not been on top of the world in the past couple of weeks. By the way, the "New" New Year's was a tremendous success! Things really seem to be turning around, and I am SO glad they are!

Laters!
LoriAnnTwiFan

4 comments:

  1. Oh Gawd. I've only just stumbled upon this post _ I have no idea how I missed it...

    I have 2 boys, both very different in temperament, and this post / song speaks to me in volumes when I think of my eldest. He'll be 17 this summer, and he really doesn't have a clue about what he wants out of life, nor does he appear to have the confidence to just step out there and take what he can.

    His younger brother (aged 14), on the other hand, is so full of himself, I sometimes wonder how he will fare in life - particularly when RL hits him in the face.

    *Sigh* I hope one day that both of my sons will find something similar to remind them of their mom. I do try - always - but don't always feel appreciated!

    CC x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine where mine would be if it weren't for my husband. I was never the disciplinarian and really never had it in me. When I divorced their dad, they were 2 and 4. He has not been a perfect (step)dad, but he has made a tremendous difference in their lives and given them the structure and discipline they needed.

    The (almost) 19 year old learned how to work hard and go for his dreams, and the (almost) 17 year old is still learning. At least he is passing his classes now (I think)!

    From the pics I have seen, they love you very much. They may not know it right now, but they do!

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed they do :-) This morning after they'd breakfast they both climbed in bed with me for a 'mummy sandwich'. I commented on how I never thought they would still be climbing in for a cuddle now that they're 'all grown' up, to which the oldest replied, "You'd be sad if we didn't."

    How right he is!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog because of the award floating around (thank you so much for the shout out btw). This post title grabbed my attention immediately...and then it gave me goosebumps and tears.

    My favorite word in the entire universe is mom. Having grown up with the best mom in the world, it's all I ever wanted to be. I love hearing my kids and their close friends call me that. Heck, some of the kids in the fandom call me mom. I love it.

    My daughter is 25 and my son will be 23 this month. They are my life.

    That Shinedown song is one of my absolute favorites. That your son said that to you ON FACEBOOK (makes it all sorts of official you know - lol) is very special.

    I'm glad he's doing well at college and you are doing well adjusting to him being there. It was hard when my daughter was living on her own and my son went away to college. But then again, the whole empty nest led me to internet time and finding so many amazing people in this fandom. Can't complain about that.

    I'm blessed that my kids and their friends still think I'm cool enough to hang out with, even when I embarrass them with my Robsanity.

    Aaaaaand I've rambled on long enough. You pushed the right button ;)

    ReplyDelete